Saturday, September 3, 2011

'Labor Day'

Labor Day:  n. The 1st Monday in September, observed as a holiday in honor of working people 


I find it somewhat ironic that we've established an actual holiday for the working force when half of the retail work force is forced to, well, work.


At least I have a job.  For a little while, anyway.


My Borders store is due to close soon, and I am caught between feelings of sadness, anger, fear, and happiness.  Sadness because a once-great company has bit the dust.  Anger for the same reason.  Fear because I'm worried about finding a job in this tough financial climate.  And happiness, because I love a challenge and I know that something new is on the horizon.


So, despite the fact that I'll be working on Labor Day, I'll still celebrate the fact that U.S. workers have a least one thing they can call their own.


Retail workers, however, are exempt.

No comments: