Saturday, March 12, 2016

'Hide'

It's not often that I find a story that truly stays with me; a story full of tenderness and a feeling of frustration.

I find that story in my real life.  I am not a 'young one'.  I'm heading into my sixties, a time I wish to warn the young ones about.  A time that lends me frustration with my partner; my love.  He does things that really, really piss me off.

I've learned that it really doesn't matter what gender or persuasion that I cling to.  I'm heterosexual, and my husband makes me crazy.  Really, really crazy. When you're a 'caretaker', life takes a more than casual spin.

He makes me as crazy as the partner, Frank, in the fantastic new novel, 'Hide', written by Matthew Griffin.  I love this story because I can truly relate to it.  No matter the gender, no matter the orientation.  We are merely humans, first, aren't we?

I can relate to Wendell, Frank's partner.  And I find that love is love.

Wendell and Frank meet at the end of World War II, when Frank returns home to their North Carolina town. Soon he's loitering around Wendell's taxidermy shop, and the two come to understand their connection as love-a love that, in this time and place, can hold real danger. 

Cutting nearly all ties with the rest of the world, they make a home for themselves on the outskirts of town, a string of beloved dogs for company. Wendell cooks, Frank cares for the yard, and together they enjoy the vicarious drama of courtroom TV.
But when Wendell finds Frank lying outside among their tomatoes at the age of eighty-three, he feels a new threat to their careful self-reliance. As Frank's physical strength and his memory deteriorate, the two of them must fully confront the sacrifices they've made for each other-and the impending loss of the life they've built.

I cried throughout this tender love story.  It is written so well, and the characters could almost be anyone I know (you know who you are...).  Except for the fact that they must hide their love.  It made me mad.

It pissed me off, actually.

Author Matthew Griffin
There is, however, one passage that totally surprised me, but I will not divulge it.  Let's just say that I didn't see it coming.  I cried like a baby, and for that, I'm a bit upset at the author. I loved the small character of Daisy. Let's not see that in your second brilliant novel, okay?

If you love love, no matter what.  If you don't care what the world thinks.  If love is love, in your world.

Read this.  Love should never have to hide.

It must be shown to the world.  Thank you, Mr. Griffin. Book Hog loves 'Hide'.


'Hide', written by Matthew Griffin, can be found in your local library and favorite bookstore.  Book Hog loves it, and so will you!



No comments: