Thursday, May 19, 2016

Behind Closed Doors

Have you ever read a story that takes you by the hand and leads you into a horrible anxiety attack?  Or one that makes you panic every time you see a lock on a door?

I just did.  And it wasn't pleasant.  It was bad enough to drive me out of the house so I could take a walk and breathe fresh, clean air.

I'm not kidding.

'Behind Closed Doors', the first novel from B. A. Paris, took the air out of my lungs.

I could go on and on about her talent for creating memorable characters, and using short, tight paragraphs that make you jump. But I won't.

Paris brought terror right to my front door.

If you loved 'The Girl on the Train', or 'Gone Girl', this new one will really hit you.  For a first novel, Paris has written a riveting story that stunned me.  I had to put it down a few times, although it really only took me a day to read it.  

The narrator, Grace, is married to Jack Angel, a movie-star-handsome, wealthy attorney who champions the cause for abused women.  Grace, his perfect, elegant wife, has a down syndrome sister who she loves very much; in fact, Millie, will be living with Jack and Grace in a short while. But Grace learns that the man she's fallen in love with isn't who he seems.  Grace and Jack are never apart, and their friends are getting a bit miffed when Grace cancels lunch plans all the time.  Soon, Jack lets her in on a secret that could be her life's ruin.

But I'm not saying any more.

This is a story to experience.  One that will keep you turning the pages...but one that will make you set it down just so you can find some sort of mental stability.

It's brilliant, it's scary, and it's horrifying, and Grace is an incredible character. And so is Millie, who is more aware of things than Grace realizes.

It has stayed with me.  And I think it will be with me for quite a while.

B. A. Paris has found a new fan.



'Behind Closed Doors', by B. A. Paris, will be published on August 9, 2016 by St. Martin's Press. Movie rights have been sold.  Put it on your hold list at your local library, or pre-order it from your favorite book store.  You won't be sorry.

No comments: