Saturday, October 5, 2013

'In the Blood'

Lisa Unger has a way of getting under my skin.

And in my lungs.  Her work leaves me breathless.

I just finished reading her new book, 'In the Blood', and it left me stunned.

I've read several of her other books, and appreciate her way of leading me here and there, sometimes leaving me stranded and having to find my own way back.  And there she would be at the end of the path, laughing and taunting:  "You figured it out!  Bravo!"

She's a remarkable writer.  

'In the Blood' is a worthy addition to her 'Hollow' series.

Lana Granger doesn't know just who she really is, having lived a life of lies and secrets. Her life has been lived in therapy, and medications, and uncertainty.  About to graduate from college, and financially bereft, she takes a babysitting job for a young boy who is mentally unbalanced.  Luke is a brilliant, troubled young boy, who takes great pleasure in manipulating people, including Lana.  But when Lana's best friend goes missing, she is the main suspect.  Lana will do anything to keep her secrets, but someones knows just who she is.  

I cannot say enough about the ending of this story.  It was definitely worth the wait. Although the story was a bit confusing until I sorted everyone out, I could not put it down. And when I did, it stayed with me, haunting me, begging me to pick it up and race toward the stunning climax.

There is so much to this well-told tale; so many twists-and-turns.  There is also deception, bald-faced lies, and a reveal that was a total surprise.

Totally.



'In the Blood' will be released in January 2014 by Touchstone, a division of Simon & Schuster.  You'll soon find it at your library and local independent bookstore.


No comments: