Thursday, May 29, 2014

'Midnight Crossroad'

As most of you know by now, the last two weeks have literally been hell for me.  I've been settling my daughter's estate, holding an estate sale, and taking care of mountains of paperwork.  It's exhausting.  And humbling.

The love and support from friends and family have given me great strength and sense of purpose.  But I know that when all of this madness settles down, when the messages dwindle, and the memorials are finished, I will have something left that is timeless. Something my daughter and I shared.

A love of reading.

In the midst of sadness, in the midst of rage, we all need to get out of ourselves and linger in another world, if only for a moment.  I found that other world in Charlaine Harris's newest novel, 'Midnight Crossroad'.  

Midnight, Texas is a town with many boarded-up windows, abandoned buildings, and very few full-time residents.  Located at the crossing of Witch Light and the Davy highway, Midnight is a pretty standard, dried-up western town.

However, there's something unique about the residents. Two live in a pawnshop (one of them lives in the basement and is seen only at night) owned by a handsome, love-sick man, and the local diner feeds them all, where they gather to talk and gossip.  The new resident, Manfred Bernardo, thinks he's found the perfect place to work in private.

But he has another thing coming...

Harris, author of the incredibly popular 'Sookie Stackhouse' series (and other mystery series which are equally good), has given us the beginning of a new series, one I find entertaining, funny, and mysterious.  She's good at mysterious.

Author Charlaine Harris
Although her story is told in a simple style, don't let that fool you. She is sharp as a tack, and has a way of bluffing us all.  Bless her little Southern heart.

It's a page-turner.  It's exciting.  

And I can't wait to read the next one.  I think you'll feel the same way.

On a side note, I want to thank Charlaine for helping me get through a very hard time.  This Book Hog owes you bigtime!




'Midnight Crossroad' by Charlaine Harris, is now available at your library and favorite bookstore.  If you love Sookie, you'll love Midnight!

No comments: