Sunday, October 9, 2011

'A Dog's Purpose'

It's a nice Autumn day in my corner of the world.  I have a pot of chicken soup cooking on the stove, and a cup of warm tea by my side.  A nice accompaniment to all this coziness is the sound of a tail wagging.


I'm a 'cat person', although my heart belongs to any animal, no matter how large and/or dangerous.  My three cats are a total delight and can sense when I'm in a melancholy mood; cat kisses are prevalent during the 'blue' days.  However, I've recently rediscovered that the mere wag of a dog's tail can bring a smile to my face.  My daughter is unable to take care of her dog for a few months, so I offered to give said dog a temporary home.  But I'm so afraid that when the time comes for Indy to go back to her permanent home, I'll find a large part of my heart missing.  


For the time being, I'll enjoy my 'grandpup' and try not to think about the day when she will leave.  


That brings to mind a wonderful book I read just a few months ago.  'A Dog's Purpose', by W. Bruce Cameron, is the story of a dog searching for the meaning of his life through several lifetimes.  That's right:  Several lifetimes.  Narrated by the dog, this most incredible book deals with the eternal question, "Why are we here?".  Through several incarnations (always as a dog), the dog finds 'his boy', loses him, then finds him again in one of the most heartbreaking chapters I've ever read.


Many readers will compare this novel to 'The Art of Racing in the Rain', the fantastic book by Garth Stein, but you will find that both books compliment each another.  


If you love any animal, I highly recommend 'A Dog's Purpose'.  It's a beautifully written story by an author who, I'm sure, will go on to write even more touching novels.


It's brought me even closer to the animals sharing my life.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't know... If I'm going to cry, which I do at a drop of a hat when it comes to animals, then I'm not sure I could make it through this one.
I cried when Abby told me about the book 'Marley and Me'. She read, I didn't and yet the tears still came.

And yes, the ASPCA commercial with Arms Of An Angel playing in the background... totally bawl when that commercial comes on.

Maybe I'll have Abby read this one, she does better then I do.