Tuesday, December 6, 2011

'The Chairs' Hiatus'

Back in the sixties, when I was a little kid, my mom and dad always took us to the local Fred Meyer grocery store after church.  My sister, brother, and I would plant ourselves in the magazine aisle and spend happy moments reading comic books.  My personal favorite was 'Classics Illustrated', which led to my love of literature (when I mention 'Classics Illustrated' now, most people tell me that they have never heard of the series).

Times change and comic books have taken a more decidedly adult turn; I enthusiastically embrace graphic novels.  I still love my Superman and Batman stories, and Neil Gaiman's 'Sandman' series became a particular favorite.  I revel in the beautiful illustrations and intelligent text.     

Graphic novels are not 'throwaways' to be left strewn about the house; they are art.  With the explosion of new, exciting artists and writers, those old, flimsy comics I used to adore are now bound books which have finally earned respect in the literary world.

And it is true art I have found in the newest graphic novel I've just finished reading.  'The Chairs' Hiatus', written and illustrated by Matthew Bogart, is a starkly-illustrated story of friendship, betrayal, and reconciliation.  Nel and Mary make up the rock duo, 'The Chairs', but when they part, Mary wants nothing better than to escape, to be left alone.  But when two people show up at her apartment one evening, her chosen path takes a sudden turn.      

I hope to see more from Mr. Bogart; he is a welcome addition to the pantheon of talented graphic novelists.  His book will take its rightful place on my bookshelf, right next to the 'Sandman' series and my beloved copies of 'Classics Illustrated'.

Visit Matt's website at www.MatthewBogart.net

No comments: