Sunday, May 8, 2016

Lily and the Octopus

Back in July 2013, I posted a review of 'The Rosie Project', a book I absolutely adored. 

It's been a while since I've come across a story like that.  A story that doesn't ask a lot of my poor, frazzled brain; except to smile, nod my head, and laugh a little bit.  It became a book worth recommending, and I couldn't stop talking about it.

Now, much to my delight, I've found another such story. But this one tugged at my heart quite often.  There was a point, however, when I had to step away from it.  I knew what was coming, and I had to disengage myself for a short time. It brought back memories of my beloved Molly and the ones who came before her.

But 'Lily and the Octopus', written by Steven Rowley, is a novel that will also take you totally by surprise.  It's funny, it's thoughtful and sensitive, it's engaging.  Most of all, it's precious. Yes, precious.  Many reviewers consider it a cross between The Art of Racing in the Rain and The Life of Pi; both stories asked for a lot of emotional investment, and they were richer for it. 'Lily...' asks much the same.

It's about the little dance of love and forgiveness between a man and his beloved, aging dog, Lily.


I cannot say enough about it.  Honestly, I really can't say enough about it because I don't want to ruin it for you.  

When it comes out in June, please read it.  Recommend it to friends and family.  This wonderful story deserves to land in front of as many hearts-and-minds as possible.

Thank you, Steven Rowley, for hitting me in the gut with a story I won't soon forget.  





'Lily and the Octopus', by Steven Rowley, will be published in early June 2016 by Simon & Schuster.  Book Hog would like the thank the publisher for letting her read such a phenomenal story in advance of publication.




No comments: